Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

Pizza....my obsession


I am on a quest to find the best pizza dough. Which coincides with my quest to learn how to actually bake, knead, etc bread. Hopefully my efforts to learn how to properly do the latter will lead me down a road to the former. Or something like that....

My current favorite doughs come in two categories: Deep Dish/Pan Pizza dough, a soft, tender, milk-based dough developed by Cook's Illustrated, and Peter Reinhart's Neapolitan Pizza dough. I usually make thin-crust pizza with the Reinhart dough on my pizza stone. The most recent experiment involved hot italian sausage from my neighborhood Italian deli (Bari Foods), spinach and mushrooms with fresh mozzerella. The other, less photogenic pizza involved the fairly standard toppings of BBQ sauce (Open Pit), chicken, red pepper and whole-milk mozzerella. Having never met a pizza I didn't like, or at least eat, I liked both--but wasn't blown away. Soon I'll make my all-time favorite pizza and share its glory with you, Internet.

First of several side notes: Any BBQ sauces out there that don't have high-fructose corn syrup as the first ingredient? I've only tried my hand at making it once before, with good results, but it wasn't what you'd typically think of as BBQ sauce (Barefoot Contessa's recipe--try it here). I'm looking more for a traditional type sauce. Real Simple has a recipe featured this month...perhaps that will be the next contender.

Two: Thoughts on making your own pizza? I sometimes don't get as excited by pizza I make over take-out or my favorite pizza restaurants. Is it because I know all the product inside-and-out, and maybe know it too well to fully enjoy it? It is because I have more restraint with cheese and toppings, so mine aren't as decadent as the inch-thick guilty pleasure of take-out are? Is it just because I am impossible to please?

Pondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment