Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Morning Routine

Almost invariably, I hit the snooze button with such vigor and dedication that, by the time I roll out of bed, the thought of making breakfast--even a bowl of cereal--is just a fleeting image as I frantically struggle to get out the door on time.  Consequently, my breakfast usually consists of:

Oatmeal.

Instant oatmeal.

Blech.












It's really not that bad, but I'm not going that far out onto the limb here by saying that oatmeal is a pretty boring food on its own.  I love it as an ingredient (granola, sweet breads, cookies) but as a cereal it doesn't really wow me like, say, chorizo over chilquiles or a big-ass plate of hash browns from your neighborhood greasy spoon.  Or a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich.  Or a ham, asparagus and gouda omelet....it could go on and on, my brain, once it starts thinking about food it wants to eat.

(And, yes, it's very much my brain driving my foodlove, not my belly, because the brain prefers to operate independently from my stomach.  "What, you're full?  NONSENSE.  Keep eating, mouth, this food is so delicious.")

But oatmeal gets the job done.  Whole grains do their best to keep me full until lunch....when is lunch again?  Soon, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment