Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Chicky Chicky Bang Bang

Finally accomplished the kabob dinner!  Marinated chicken breast chunks in a soy-teriyaki sauce (from Trader Joe's, although I typically make my own marinades following Alton Brown's formula of salt, acid, oil and spice...i think), then skewered them with red pepper, onion and nectarine slices.  Served with basmati rice and arugula tossed with sesame oil, rice vinegar and toasted sesame seeds. 

For a simple dinner, we devoured it...I wasn't too thrilled with how mushy the nectarines got, but then again I can't be bothered to follow other cooks' advice to skewer each ingredients on its own skewer so that each part can cook at the appropriate temp for the right time.  I like how they look alternating, dammit!  Then again, the mushy nectarines let off a sweet, soy-y juice that the rice was all to happy to soak up.  The chicken, left in the marinade a bit too long (see the 'out to dinner' temptation of 6/14), actually was about right--since I didn't flavor the other ingredients with the marinade at all, the over-saturated chicken lent some of its seasoning to the other pieces. Plus, I only used one chicken breast for 4 skewers--veggies and fruit getting the starring role. 

Bonus image:  that lovely plate the skewers are resting on is from my 1st grade class, when we drew pictures of our families and had them made into plates.  Luckily, I'm not using my kindergarten plate, which features four stick figures--3 female and 1 male---guess how you can tell the dad apart from the mom and daughters?  Maybe I had just played doctor when I drew that plate, of maybe I've been slightly pervy my entire life.  Regardless, by first grade my primitive drawing skills had evolved sufficiently that I no longer drew genitalia on males.

No comments:

Post a Comment