Search This Blog

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Because I'm awesome

Or cheap, but let's go with awesome....I saw my leftover chicken breast as not just a reheatable, but a puzzle piece just waiting to be fit into a whole new meal.  And also because I'm awesome/cheap, I decided that one small chicken breast (minus 3 bites, due to a late night fridge forage by A) could easily make two sandwiches.  And, decidedly because I'm awesome, I left one of said sandwhiches for A to eat today, because he is a growing boy and all (although the CSA radishes I put on it got a nose-up-turn in disgust, but I can't be blamed for helping him to eat his veggies!)

I sliced the chicken breast horizontally, on a slight diagonal, to make 4 oblong pieces that would fit on a sub-like bun (or leftover trader joe's whole wheat hotdog buns, whichever you had on hand...guess which I used for my sandwiches?).  I spread both sides of the bread with ripe avocado (i read a tip to use it in place of mayo for healthier fats and veggie creaminess).  Except A's, who got low-fat mayo instead (avocados make his mouth itch!).  Layered on lettuce, radishes, and some of the poblano strips out of the chorizo potato cake (if some chorizo stuck to the strips, nobody had to know...), then the chicken, then smashed the roll halves together!

It was a rather impressive lunch-time sandwich, if I do say so myself--and I don't have to, because a coworker commented on it herself!  Flanked by the rest of the leftover chipotle potatoes and some corn salad (recipe after the jump), it was one heck of a southwestern fiesta on my sad little dixie plate. 



Corn Salad (adapted from a Barefoot Contessa recipe)

A few notes---this, like most recipes--is infinitely adaptable.  I'm giving you the way I usually make it below, but you can swap out anything and add anything in.  Out of vinegar?  Use lime juice, cumin and avocado to make it really southwestern.  Out of tomatoes, peppers, whatever?  Use whatever veggies you have.  No basil?  Cilantro and parsley both work great.  Just experiment--it's the best way.  Like the batch shown above, instead of red onions I used chopped up leftover grilled onion slices; red pepper instead of tomato; and chipotle olive oil instead of extra virgin. This salad is begging for some avocado in it, too.  And the amounts of pretty much everything can be adjusted to taste.   Just play!  Food should be fun.

1 1/2 cups corn kernals (either frozen or fresh, blanched, and sliced from cobs.  Canned corn is chewy & strange here)
1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
1 cup black beans (if using canned, as I always do, drain and rinse them)
1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp basil, chiffonade
Salt & Pepper to taste

Well, just mix everything together!  Start with the veggies in a large bowl, then drizzle the oil and vinegar over all.  Gently stir, then stir in basil and season to taste.  No need to make a vinaigrette for the dressing, just pour each over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment