Search This Blog

Monday, November 8, 2010

Fish Cakes, Fish Cakes...

I know, I know.  The name "Fish Cakes" doesn't exactly conjure up images of groundbreaking food, or even delicious food.  It's probably the word "cakes" in the title--it just implies a mishmash of ingredients, bound together in a questionable shape and served up without a though in the world.  Or those gross fish cake products found in Asian food, akin to a fishy baloney and often disconcertingly colored with pink food dye.  Either way, it's a vomit trigger (a term stolen from KOS - thanks!). Or maybe that's just me.  

But why is it so?  You hear "crab cake" and most people instantly start drooling (especially if they're those little tiny crab cakes they serve at cocktail parties, or a gigantic fresh crab cake from Faidley's in Baltimore--the world's best crab cake, in my book, and many thanks to JM for introducing them to me!).  Maybe foodies and other snobs out there are already turning their noses up, but I challenge them to honestly say they don't like crab cakes.  They're comforting, flavorful, and indulgent--both because of the main ingredient and the cooking method, which often involves a mayo and egg-laden binding as well as at least a pan-fry, if not a deep fry.  
Thing is, my budget doesn't include king crab legs as a line item.  So, like most people, I turn my thoughts and taste buds to other options when looking for a version to make at home.  Salmon patties were a common meal in my family, no doubt a holdover recipe from Grandma K. whose frugality is legendary.  Stretching a can of salmon to feel a family of six using saltine crackers as binder would surely have seemed genius to her.  And, frankly, they're easy, if very non-gourmet, and good. To this day I keep a can of King Salmon in my cupboard for those days when there's nothing in the fridge and just 30 minutes until dinner.


This is as far in the process I got with the camera. 
\The other day, seeking to bridge the gap between gourmet crab cakes and cupboard salmon patties, I turned to some tilapia fillets that needed a home.  IN MAH BELLEH.  (Actually, they didn't get into my belly, because good-wife-that-I-am I left them in th fridge for A to cook after I left for San Fran.  Hence, no photos of the finished product).  Use your imagination, or make some up yourself and see what you think. 

Tilapia Cakes with Mustard and Dill
Makes 5-oz patties


2 tilapia fillets, about 1/2 pound
3 Tbsp red onion, minced
1 Tbsp coarse-ground dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice or red wine vinegar
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
1 large egg
1 Tbsp fresh dill, minced
S&P


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Season fillets with salt & lemon pepper (or whatever you want) and bake for 12-15 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and cool slightly. 


Use a fork to flake fish into small pieces.  Mix flaked fish with remaining ingredients in a bowl until well combined.  


Shape mixture into 3/4" thick patties (you should get 4 or 5 out of it).  


Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add patties and fry until golden brown on one side, about 5 minutes.  Turn and fry anoter 5 minutes or until browned, crisp and heated through.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment