Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Chicken A La King

As if it hasn't been very apparent, I have a strong bond with foods I ate growing up.  As do we all, I would argue, because they shape our current ideas about what food is and should be...but that's besides the point.  Sort of.  What is my point?  It would help.

Food we ate growing up, yes, this is what I was thinking about last night when staring at two different recipes. One, a new one that I'd had earmarked for a white--Orange Balsamic Chicken with Sage Pasta and Pecans. The other, Turkey A La King, an old familiar recipe that beckoned with memories of my childhood.  Although try new things is something I keep urging myself to do...I chose the familiar, the comforting, the known..something I do far too often.

And glad I did, mind you.  Although the new recipe looked intriguing and exotic, it had its faults.  First, a pasta side of little more than noodles, pasta water, sage and cheese.  Ho-hum (I'm not really a pasta fan in the first place).  Second, I didn't have pecans (not the biggest of deals, but still).  Third...it was a Rachael Ray recipe, and because of that I knew that something must be wrong with it, and lacked the energy to deal with finding that problem.   Quite honestly, I think I liked the way the picture looked more than what the recipe promised.

So old familiar it was, and it was good.

Wanna know what my dad used to call this dinner?  Sh*t on a shingle.  But don't let that fool you - it's not the least shitty.  It reminds me a bit and inside-out chicken pot pie, or those diner-riffic hot turkey sandwiches (minus mashed potatoes, but - hey - I bet this would be good over those too!).  Plus, it's a great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey, for instance after Thanksgiving, when this recipe is practically a godsend.

Chicken A La King
From Mommie, who got it from Cooking Light.  Minor adaptations--I make it like she makes it, except I only had fresh mushrooms, and no pimientos.  This is a really great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey too - particularly after Thanksgiving.  Instead of starting with raw chicken/turkey, just stir in cooked, chopped chicken after thickening the sauce in step 3.

1 tsp olive oil
1/2 lb chicken or turkey, chopped into bite-size pieces.
2 Tbsp Butter or margarine
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
3/4 cup water
1 tsp chicken bouillon
1/4 cup chopped pimientos or roasted red peppers
S&P
Rice or toast, for serving

1.  Heat olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.  Season chicken/turkey pieces with S&P, then add to pan in a single layer.  Cook, turning once or twice, until well browned and cooked through, about 7-10 minutes.  Remove to a plate and reserve.

2.  Add butter/margarine to same pan and melt.  Add onion, green pepper and mushrooms; season with S&P.  Saute until softened and golden, about 5-7 minutes.  Meanwhile, stir bouillon, milk and water together.

3.  Add flour to vegetables and stir well to evenly coat; cook for approximately one minute.  Add milk mixture and cook until thickened, stirring constantly (about 3 minutes).  Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan, along with a good few turns of freshly ground black pepper.  Reduce heat to low and heat until chicken is thoroughly rewarmed.

4.  Serve over rice or toast (I prefer toast).

No comments:

Post a Comment