Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

Spiced Pumpkin Waffles

Bear with me, internet, I'm working from memory here.

Yeah, the bacon is also coated in syrup.  Restraint is not my strong suit.
On Friday morning past, I woke up after a supremely awesome concert (courtesy of The Bronx, performing as part of Riot Fest) with not a hangover, but a craving for something decidedly un-punk:  Waffles.  Pumpkin waffles.  And bacon (bacon, in its fatty, self indulgent glory, might be a little punk).

Having spent a night in the pit with the stomping boys (and getting told I was "hardcore" by another girl, something I MOST ASSUREDLY am not), my sore eardrums and empty stomach needed comfort, tranquility, and a taste of something wholesome.  A lingering half-can of pumpkin in the fridge, and a frozen stack of low-sodium bacon in the freezer, and breakfast was decided.  Just like that, my ad hoc punk persona reverted back to the homey, geeky, food nerd we all know that I really am.  
All the spices, awaiting the pumpkin bath.

I'm happy with these waffles, although those better at the baking thing might want to experiment a bit.  Unlike the Krusteez blueberry waffle mix we favor---no mixes are crispier---these waffles came out very soft.  That's fine when you're going to put them in a 250-degree oven to keep warm while you cook the others, as I did, because the oven helps to crisp them up.  But i do prefer my waffles a bit more crisp at the get-go.  I think this means I should use less pumpkin (keep the wet, heaviness down) and maybe increase the baking powder to get more lift.  


Crisp issues aside, and for many of you that isn't really an issue, these waffles are deliciously warm and spicy, echoing the cinnamon and nutmeg notes of pumpkin pie but even more aromatic from being piping hot out of the waffle iron.  Eat these waffles, friends, or my punk persona might come out of hibernation and stomp your face.  Or you'll just miss out on an awesome fall feasting opportunity.  Either way, why risk it?


Spiced Pumpkin Waffles
Makes about 3-4 large waffles

3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp bakin powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp melted butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg

1.  In a medium bowl, mix/sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.  

2.  In a large bowl, beat together pumpkin, butter, brown sugar, and egg.  Add flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated and a few small lumps remain.

3.  Cook in waffle iron as directed.  Can keep warm in a 250-degree oven, and leftover waffles heat up awesomely in the toaster/toaster oven the next dayl.

No comments:

Post a Comment