Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

A. G. Ferrari's Deli in San Francisco

Across the street from this little hotel is a small Italian specialty food store and deli.  It looks like a nice, new little place.  A quick Google search reveals that it's a mid-size California chain, although it doesn't feel much like a chain when you walk in.  It carries Italian candies, wines, imported pastas, and olive oils, in addition to its well stocked deli of italian meats, cheeses, and prepared food items.  It would be a fun place to explore were I a local resident. 


But I'm not, so none of these food finds really caught my eye, since my 50.5 lb suitcase can take no more contents unless I want to pay a $100 oversize bag fee when I fly back to Chicago on Wed.  No matter how special that olive oil is, I'm not paying a hundo to take it with me on the aeroplane. 
They look like black-eyed peas to me...
Sandwiches, on the other hand, are something I can enjoy.  And A.G. Ferrari makes those by the tenfold.  Their "seasonal" (doubt it" menu lists about 20 varieties, and I'll give them credit that only one or two feature deli smoked turkey.  Instead, they stuff their (freshly baked?  maybe) bread with cured Italian meats, roasted veggies, house-made dressings, and less-common cheeses.  A welcome find. 


Going back to that across the street location, it's no surprise that it has fed me lunch two days running now.  Yesterday I selected #4, a tuna and celery salad with tomato, arugula, and olive tapenade on foccacia.  The not-too-mayo-y tuna salad had a fair bit of crunch, and the chunky olive tapenade cut through the richness with its salty brine.  The foccacia as well wasn't greasy like this olive-oil laden bread can sometimes be, making it a nice counterpoint to the savory contents it held.
Today the #9 Veneto called my name.  Layers of spicy, rich sopprasetta, asiago cheese, red leaf lettuce and--the deal clincher--pickled vegetables on crusty italian bread.  A side of cannellini bean, celery, and pecorino cheese salad with red wine vinaigrette somehow made its way into my cart, too.  Strange how these things happen.  


This was a great sandwich.  Great.  The peppery, salty salami balanced perfectly against the vinegary, crunchy vegetables, and mixed with the creamy asiago and the chewy bread it became perhaps my perfect sandwich. 


If you find yourself near this place (as I will tomorrow) I highly suggest helping yourself out and heading inside.  The #8 sure sounds good too.....   

No comments:

Post a Comment