Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Layered Cauliflower Salad

Pretend those aren't canned peas you see.  I didn't have enough frozen ones.   Canned peas are gross, and to be avoided. 
A short post today, owing to my lack of attention span, the hunger in my belly that writing about food is not helping to abate, and the 8-day business trip upon which I embark tomorrow taking my time away from fun thoughts.  So don't be surprised if you don't hear much from me over the next week, although San Fran should provide some tasty diversions after the workday is through.  Will I develop the courage/lack of self-consciousness to take photos of food inside restaurants?  We shall soon see.



A fall outing to the pumpkin and apple farm this weekend started in the best way possible--a feast of homemade (not by me) baby back ribs, smoked over hardwood, glazed with Coca Cola and BBQ suace, and devoured by four foodie friends.  BFranks, best ribs ever, by the way.  Major accolades are being metaphorically heaped at your feet by my literal sticky, sauce-stained hands. I could smell the delicious porky smoke on my fingers for hours....god, i want some more ribs!


To help our arteries survive the meat barrage, I made a quick, easy overnight salad to go alongside the ribs.  Teamwork is a good thing.

It's something that just seems really well suited for a potluck.  Easy-to-find, lowbrow ingredients.  Must be made ahead, then grabbed from the fridge when needed. And, it has bacon in it.  Any salad that manages to work bacon into the mix is a friend of mine.
Ahhh, you are so good.  I was too busy eating you to take a picture of you all stirred up. 
Easy family recipe after the....you know what.



Layered Cauliflower Salad
Serves 4-6 as a side dish; easily doubled.

1/2 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
1/4  large red onion, diced or very thinly sliced
1/2 large head cauliflower, broken into bite-sized pieces
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
5 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (NOT OPTIONAL)
1-2 Tbsp sugar (optional)1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp each S&P
2/3 cup low-fat mayo

Layer all ingredients in a large bowl in order listed, gently spreading mayo over the top of the salad. Do NOT stir!

Cover salad tightly and allow to sit overnight, or several hours.

Stir thoroughly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment