Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Why all the adjectives, Rock Cornish Game Hen?

Perhaps my plating skills need a little work so that his leg isn't hanging off it.  But isn't he cute?
Really, isn't a Rock Cornish Game Hen just a small chicken?  Let's see what Wikipedia has to say about it:  "Despite the name, it is not a game bird, but actually a typical chicken that is slaughtered at a young age and therefore is smaller in size. Though the bird is called a "hen," it can be either male or female."  OK, so it's just marketing then.  A cornish game hen is really just a chicken that's only 5-6 weeks old and under 2 pounds.  That actually makes me sort of sad.  But, then again, thinking about typically chickens' miserable lives on factory farms, maybe a shorter time until the butcher comes isn't entirely a bad thing...


Well, I'm not going to get into that debate right now.  I know that my food morals really want me to buy organic in certain things--especially eggs (already do), milk (first glass bottle bought yesterday), and meats (getting there...).  But my pocketbook also has a say in what I buy.  And I do buy factory-farmed meats.  But I also try to go vegetarian a minimum of one night a week to try to offset that; I buy a healthy percentage of local food, organic food, healthy food.  It's all about a balance, and each person can find that balance for his or herself. 


Today I'm just going to remember how delicious that little hen was, and share that lovely memory with you.  


I must be craving a trip to Italy (honeymoon???), because I've been cooking all things Italian this week...a pizza feast Sunday, yesterday's Tuscan Roasted Cornish Hen with Mediterranean Orzo (yes, I've put a recipe up), and tomorrow's Italian Stuffed Peppers.  Let's focus on today, shall we?

After splitting the hen into two halves and removing the backbone--a task made easy with a new Wusthof cleaver, a wedding gift from Mr. Yeshua--they were marinated overnight in a Tuscan marinade (from a bottle from a Michigan oil/vinegar store).  My original intent was either to grill them or to "brick" them, but an impending thunderstorm combined with an absence of a brick (where did that damn dog put it?  yes, I'm serious.  We have a crochet-covered brick doorstop that our dog just loves to pick up and cuddle with) forced me to consider other options.  And, lazy after an ass-kicking at the gym, I just pulled out a roasting pan, my go-to cooking method.  Some CSA medley potatoes, tossed in said dressing, olive oil and grainy mustard, joined them on the sheet and into a 425-degree oven they went for 35 minutes (potatoes stirred halfway through).  You can really roast anything--anything, just toss it with a little oil and S&P.  The key is a high temperature--at least 400 degrees. You want the outside to get nice and brown; the natural sugars to caramelize; the magic to happen.  Try roasted cauliflower, especially if you think you don't like this underappreciated little blossom.  It turns nutty, intense, hearty after 15-20 minutes in a nice hot oven--totally unlike its usual steamed presentation.  



While that was going, I mixed up a little side dish with things I had on hand--cut up cucumbers that were starting to dry out, a big-ass tomato that was getting over-ripe, some fresh mozzerella with no home of its own.  An easy garlic-dijon vinaigrette and some orzo, and a simple side dish was born.  I threw in some butter beans, because for an inexplicable reason I had two cans in my cupboard--and throwing beans into something is an easy way to amp up the protein content.  I kept the amount of pasta down to limit the carbs (or because that was all that was left in the box) but you could probably add some more.  Whatever--I don't really do a good job of keeping track of my nutrition, like how many vitamins I eat and how many carbs I should avoid.  


On that note, I did start a food journal today to help in that regard.  Just to help me be more aware of every thing that gets put in my mouth.  I exercise a sufficient amount, but eating is my problem with why my pants are loose vs. tight (usually tight).  I just eat too much, plain and simple.  So let's see if this helps, shall we?


Sometimes I wonder why I give you recipes for things like this.  The recipe is, mix pasta with veggies and other stuff, and mix a vinaigrette in to taste.  I guess I just like to see my recipe list growing, or I'm very self-indulgent.  Or I get really bored at work.  Either way, I hope you enjoy...


Mediterranean Orzo
Mr. DeMille.....


3/4 cup orzo, cooked in salted water and drained
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup sliced cucumbers
1/2 cup chopped fresh mozzerrella cheese
2-3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1/2 can butter (or canelli) beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp garlic mustard (or dijon, plus a minced garlic clove)
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar


1. Make dressing: whisk olive oil, garlic mustard (insert a comma there if you're using two ingredients, not one.  badum-bing! grammar joke..) and vinegar in a small bowl; season with S&P.


2.  Mix remaining ingredients, and dress with dress with vinaigrette.  




No comments:

Post a Comment