Search This Blog

Friday, September 10, 2010

Granola

No clever title today, folks, just straight up truth.  Here it is: Don't buy granola.  Just don't.  It's way to easy to make it to spend premium prices on it, no matter how organic or gourmet or hippiecrunchy it may claim to be.  It's just oats, nuts, grains, fruits, and spice, stirred and baked.  No magic, just wholesomeness. Plus, it makes your house smell incredible when you make it...

That said, I really do like the Bear Naked brand of granola that my mom introduced me to. 

So, assuming you're still with me here, and assuming that you want to try to make your own granola after my thoroughly convincing and sensible rant up there, you basically need to remember a basic formula, which is basically how I make anything: do it until it looks right.  Is that helpful or what?

Let's try to explain that above a kindergarten level.  I usually start with 3 cups of whole oats (not instant).  Then I start adding in dry ingredients--coconut flakes, chopped nuts (almonds are particularly good), puffed rice, various seeds (sesame or sunflower), or other grains--another 1-2 cups total.  I go ahead and stir in my dried fruit in right now as well, about another cup, although if using raisins I reserve them until almost or after done baking, otherwise they get a little caramelized and tough.

Once everything is stirred together, you want about a 1:5 ratio of liquid to solids, give or take (some would probably argue closer to a 1:4 or 1:3 ratio, which would make a "clumpier" granola, but I would rather keep the calories down a bit where I can).  A lot of commercial granolas use oil as the primary liquid, and this is where you really can take liberties and make it more healthful.  Honey and maple syrup are excellent substitutes for a good deal of the oil. I always use about 1/4 cup of brown sugar, but I've been tempted to try molasses and see what happens then.  And, sugar counts as a wet ingredient in baking, so i count it in the liquid ratio here.  When you mix the liquids into the solids, you want a dampish mixture, not overly wet.  Then add any spices and about 1/2 tsp salt.  Bake, cool, and enjoy!  More formal recipe after the jump.

Almond Cinnamon Granola with Cranberries

3 cups whole rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup whole or slivered almonds (if using whole, I like to crush a portion of them with a mallet)
1/3 cup coconut flakes
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp maple syrup
3 Tbsp honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp kosher salt

1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Stir oats, cranberries, almonds, cocunut, and sesame seeds together in a large bowl.

2. Add oil, sugar, syrup and honey; stir until evenly moistened, then stir in cinnamon and salt.

3.  Grease a 9"x13" rimmed baking sheet and spread mixture evenly on it.  Bake for 15 minutes, stir, and bake another 10-20 minutes until evenly browned.  Granola will NOT be crunch yet--it will crisp up as it cools. 

4.  Allow to cool without stirring until room temperature, then break into chunks and store in an airtight container for a week or more.  You can also freeze it for a few months. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree sweetheart. It is so easy to make granola and I love it. It goes on top of my honeynut cheerios and vanilla yogurt. You're such a good girl. XO

    ReplyDelete