Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

GARLIC scapes pesto

Man, not feeling like anything today.  Crabby, emotional, blah.  Lady hormones leave a lot of emotional stability to be desired. 

But at least I maintained enough of my sanity not to give in to said hormones' ferocious cries for a cheeseburger-and-fried chicken feast for lunch, and ate the relatively healthy pasta, salad (CSA lettuce) and almonds I brought for lunch.  And a nectarine.  Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Let me tell you something about garlic scapes: the word "garlic" should be bold and a font size at least 300x larger than scapes.  STRONG was this pesto!  And even though I threw a handful of arugula in to temper the garlic, its peppery bitterness that I usually find so appealing in salads was distracting here.  I think this would be greatly improved by using 1/2 basil, 1/2 scapes, then proceeding as written.  Even that's not how I did it, that's how I'm editing the recipe Julia shared.  Otherwise, it's a pretty good pasta.  My coworkers just might not bother me as much today.  Hey, that makes it a pretty great pasta...

Recipe after the jump.



Garlic Scape Pesto
1/4 cup chopped garlic scapes
1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
2-3 Tbsp lemon juce
S & P

In a food processor, puree the scapes, basil and olive oil.  In a bowl, stir in parmesan and lemon juice (some zest might be nice too), then season to taste.

Serve with bread, crackers or pasta.  Or like I did with cooked mezzo penne, torn roasted red peppers, and sliced spring onions---good warm or cold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment