Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Falafel Party

Falafel...who knew it was so easy?  It sounds kinda gross when you think about it.  Dump a mealy, grainy, spicy-smelling powered mixture into a ball.  Add just 1/3 cup (plus two Tbsp) water, mix, and let sit for 10 minutes.  Then shape into balls and fry in 1/2" oil.

Or, if you're me, add 1/2 cup of water (since 1/3 cup plus two picky Tbsp just didn't sound like enough, or I'm so cheap I wanted to stretch it).  Wait 10 minutes, probably, but my impatient self doesn't always judge the passage of time with great accuracy.  It still seemed a little too loose to be shaped into balls, so I added two heaping spoons of flour, stirred, and went from there.  And since I carry my mother's "always, always at least halve the amount of fat" gene, pan-fry them in about 2 Tbsp oil. Plus, my "balls" turned out either like flat patties or misshapen football-like globs.

And you know what?  They were flippin delicious! Really, really good--as good as many/any you find in restaurants.  Served them wrapped (I tried both a pita and a flour tortilla) with hummus, arugula/lettuce (CSA!) and cucumber.  Made a lemony orzo salad with feta and cucumber to go alongside (recipe after jump).  I'm on a roll this week...




Lemony Orzo Salad
1 cup orzo
1 1/2 cups chopped, seeded cucumber
1/2 to 3/4 cup diced red onion
3/4 cup diced feta
1 lemon
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp good olive oil (use the good stuff here, since you're gonna taste it in the dressing)
1/2 tsp dried basil (fresh would have been better, but I had none.  Use 1-2 Tbsp fresh)
1/2 tsp dried dill
salt & peper

Cook orzo as the box says to, duh.  Drain and cool slightly. 

While pasta cooks, make dressing: juice lemon into a small bowl, then add herbs and vinegar (and some zest, if you're feeling zesty).  Drizzle in oil while whisking to form an emulsion.  Salt & pepper to taste.  You can mix a Tbsp or two with the hot pasta.  I did, since I slightly overcooked my pasta and didn't want it to stick.  Also, the hot pasta will absorb the flavors of the dressing.

When pasta is relatively cool, or just not steaming hot, mix it with all the other ingredients.  Salt & pepper to taste. Chill a few hours for flavors to blend before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment